Are you a domestic engineer? Do you ever feel like you need another identity other than Mom? Are you finding yourself slipping into the abyss of motherhood? If you can answer yes to any of these questions, this is the blog for you.
When I had my first son nearly 6 years ago, my husband and I made the choice for me to leave the outside work force to begin working in the home under new management. I had a new boss — a pudgy, hangry, yet unquestionably adorable tiny human…my sweet baby boy. The years have passed and I have added two more “boss babies” to our clan. I have often looked back fondly on what life was like when I had another role besides mom, and I had conversations with someone other than a toddler. Don’t get me wrong, my greatest accomplishment in life is mothering my three little minions, but, I have found that adding other pastimes to my life has made me feel more like the me before kiddos again.
I have a name besides Mom
After my second son, I set out on journey to find enjoyable activities that provided me with some good old adult interaction. Bonus: some of these are actual jobs (that work well for stay-at-home mamas) and earn your household some extra income. Here are some of the gold mines that I found.
- Childcare at your local church. I reached out to some local churches and discovered that they will hire you to watch kiddos while their parents attend Bible Studies, Mom’s Day Out Groups, or MOPS (Moms of Preschoolers) sessions. Not only is this job fun, but I have been able to bring my children with me while I work. The best of both worlds!
- Work-at-Home Customer Service. There are a variety of companies that provide you the opportunity to work from home as long as you have a working PC and a landline (in some cases). Some of these legit work-at-home companies include Alorica At Home (formally West At Home) and Convergys. If you don’t want to spring for a landline, there are also companies that will hire you to transcribe with minimal experience. Check out Rev.
- Start your own business. This is something that I do currently and love. I sell makeup solely through the use of social media and the internet. It allows me the chance to mingle with other makeup loving ladies and make them feel good about themselves. There are many options when it comes to products that are available to market. A few companies that mommies are sure to love are Younique, Rodan and Fields, Norwex, and Thirty-One.
- Mom’s Day Out. The Mom’s Day Out program provides fun and safe childcare for children while moms need to go to work, run errands, or even just relax at home. If it is for the latter, this can provide the perfect opportunity to catch a break from your kiddos and just do you! Whether you need supervision for the day or a just few hours, there are a variety of options and locations to meet your needs. A couple of places this program is offered at is Westside Church, Hearts and Minds, and King of Kings Church.
- Start a Book Club. If you don’t know of an already established book club, turn to the queen of all knowledge, Oprah, to help you out. If you aren’t into reading, at least it’s a good excuse for some good conversation and maybe some wine!
I hope these resources help you find the outlet that you need, whether that be to earn extra income or just find another “name” besides mama!